30 January 2015

Five for Friday!

Five for Friday is a weekly teacher linky party where you post five random things from today or this past week and on your blog. Check out the linky party at Doodle Bugs Teaching.

Australia Day


It was my first Australia Day on Monday!  Some of my friends were having a BBQ, heading out to the beach, and such, but unfortunately I was too far away to join in.  However, I enjoyed seeing their fun on Facebook and Instagram!  Just wished I was closer to join them!

Triple J's Hottest 100


One of the big events Aussies do here on Australia Day is tune in to Triple J's Hottest 100!  The listeners got to join in by voting for their favorite tracks from the previous year, then you spend Australia Day listening to the countdown.  I, at least, got to join in on that fun by listening all day.

Titanic Reading Unit


Most of my time over the weekend and this past week was working on a Titanic unit for TPT.  I had done this unit with my previous classes after our statewide testing as a fun unit.  We got to go on a fun field trip to the Titanic Exhibition nearby that the students really enjoyed!  Stayed tuned for a blog post all about the product coming soon!

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones Movie



Last Five for Friday I mentioned this book series.  (I finished book 4 and I was going to take a break from the series to read Gone Girl, but I'm tempted to continue on to Book 5.)  I decided to rewatch the movie to the first book in the series.  I will say the book is better, but I thought the casting was done quite well.  (Even though some people in the fandom disagree, but there were some big names as good choices!)  I just wish it had done better so that they would continue on because I would have really enjoyed seeing the rest of the books as movies.  

Offered a Part-Time Teaching Job


Finally, my most exciting news!  I have been spending the last few months working as a relief teacher (substitute) here in Australia.  We all know getting your first position isn't the easiest and that it's more helpful know someone in the profession to get your name out there.  I had to relive that all over again, but without any references within the WA Education Department.  Luckily, relief teaching got my name out there and the nearby school offered me a position to work Fridays in Pre-Primary (Kindergarten) with a possibility of future position(s).  Fingers crossed all goes well because I've been anxious to get back into the classroom more regularly! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    I see you're a Florida blogger. I'm in the Bahamas. I bet you've been enjoying some cooler weather like we have too. Congrats on the part-time teaching position. That is exciting! Hoping it turns into something full-time for you. I saw a Titanic exhibit years ago in Chicago. Is it the one where you get a ticket with the name of an actual passenger and when you go through it's like you're actually on the Titanic? It was really neat to experience. I remember they even had clinking dishes, conversation, and music as background noise when I went into the first class dining area. Happy Friday!
    Joya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm also working as a substitute teacher at the moment. It's interesting work, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get a classroom job soon!

    ReplyDelete